A Pharma company needed to improve the functioning of its corporate matrix, decision-making and R&D project governance, replace functional siloes with improved cross-functionality, and ensure appropriate cascading of the corporate strategic direction throughout the organisation.
This was becoming an increasingly important issue as the company moved towards a radically different, more innovative product portfolio.
- Interviewed multiple cross-functional stakeholders across the matrix to diagnose the business-critical issues the company was facing and identify opportunities for improvement
- Co-created a new, bespoke matrix and governance model with the client, based on the defined areas in most significant need of change
- Developed a clear process for the implementation phase of the redesign, including required implementation workstreams, owners and timelines and a plan for company communication
- New cross-functional strategic therapeutic area portfolio teams, simplified and restructured project governance bodies, and upgraded and leaner Project Teams
- CEO and top-level cross-functional commitment to prioritise the implementation of the new matrix model and to lead and role-model the fundamental mindset shift that it enabled